Karis House – Residential programme for Young Women with life controlling issues:
Karis House provides supported living accommodation for women who want to overcome issues that are controlling their lives. It is part of The Lighthouse Project, Spalding which is a registered charity.
Karis is the Greek word for ‘grace’ which simply means ‘favour we do not deserve’. The name of the house is chosen specifically because we believe that grace or favour that we do not deserve is given to each of us by God in His unconditional love toward us; so our heart is to share this ‘grace’ by offering others the opportunity to experience it for themselves.
Issues that control women may be many and varied. Every student at Karis will be different and each individual will have their own ‘story’ to tell; examples could include previous poor life choices, addictive behaviours, self harm, depression and the effects or impact of previous abuse and bullying.
Based on Christian values, Karis House will provide an environment that supports positive change using a structured approach called the XChange Programme; this is the act or process of giving up one way and replacing it with another. The programme is residential for 9 – 12 months..
Karis House is set in its own grounds in a quiet location. It is a large house and will accommodate between 4 and 8 students at any one time. There will be staff coverage 24/7 and a planned programme of activities each day which you will be expected to participate and contribute to. As you would expect there are rules and boundaries which you need to adhere to; this will ensure the smooth running of the house, your safety and the safety of others and assist you in your journey through the programme and result in good outcomes and achieved goals. The house has just been redecorated and refurbished in October 2012 to a high standard and our hand picked staff team are waiting to meet you.
Aims of Karis House
- To support women as they work to be free of their life controlling issues
- To provide a safe environment in which to build confidence and self esteem
- To equip women with appropriate skills to help them live independently in the future
- To help every women reach her full potential
- Applicants will be aged 18 to 40 years of age
- Applicants will present with a serious desire to make some positive life changing choices
- Applicants will be prepared to commit 9 – 12 months to work through the XChange Programme which is our structured approach to change
- Applicants will be prepared to contribute towards their stay and this will be discussed and agreed on an individual basis
Karis House also welcomes those who wish to recover from drug abuse/addiction but stresses that it is not a Detox Unit for those currently on prescribed or substitute medication. We are happy to receive your application and will interview you and place you on our waiting list whilst you work in partnership with statutory agencies to obtain a placement in a Detox Unit or you work with your community drug workers. Once detox is completed you may come straight from there to us.
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT THE TEAM ON 01775 711 591